Reading Time: 2 minutes
By 2050, the number of people living in cities is projected to more than double, and innovation is necessary to meet rising public demand.
Over the last few years, cities across the globe have been looking for interconnected IoT devices to enhance their infrastructure. However, this decision has resulted in some problems that were not expected, such as unfairly affecting people with certain levels of income, moving air pollution to other parts of the city, and not being able to determine where the pollution is coming from accurately.
As a result, policymakers and smart city planners have several unanswered questions regarding evaluating the condition of current air quality monitoring infrastructure.
Air Quality Challenges faced by Smart City Planners
- Identifying sources of local air pollution
- Assessing if pollution comes from outside sources
- Availability of street-level wind data
- Extent of air quality monitoring network coverage
- Quantitative effectiveness of mitigation strategies
- Impact on nearby areas and boroughs
- Return on investment for mitigation measures
- Compatibility of air quality monitoring system with other IoT devices
- Communication and accessibility of data to constituents
Why Persium is key to successful AQM in Smart Cities
Hyperlocal deployments of IoT Persium Pods, combined with machine learning, allow a new approach with real-time data for impact assessments. Sample smart city applications:
- IoT Persium Pods can communicate with other IoT systems throughout the city to make real-time decisions.
- Provides data for air pollution boundaries, source apportionment and direction. Helps with making the best decisions according to your city’s needs.
- Enables the decision of where to add spaces for safe walking, cycling, and green spaces to counter air pollution.
- Provides information on the most vulnerable boroughs and areas within a city.
- Can reduce hospitalisations and annual welfare costs for the population.
- Allows effective mitigation and assessment of implemented plans with ROI figures.
- Helps with proper benchmarking in comparison to national and international air quality standards.
- Helps to inform individuals of an area’s air quality history before purchasing or renting.
- Impact assessments for new housing districts, condos, and parks.
Next steps for policymakers and local government units
Assess Your Air Quality Monitoring Infrastructure:
- We can help you analyse the current state of your air quality monitoring infrastructure and recognise any gaps in data collection.
Collaborate and Connect:
- Let’s engage with other city planners, stakeholders, and community members to exchange ideas and work on sustainable solutions. Connect your air quality monitoring system with other IoT devices in the city to make data-driven decisions.
Implement Sustainable Solutions:
- Enhance AQM capabilities by integrating Persium AQM’s hyperlocal IoT Persium Pods. These devices provide precise, real-time data that can be visualised through an intuitive Dashboard with graphing tools.
- Empower your policymakers to make data-driven decisions and develop effective air quality policies.