Reading Time: 2 minutes
The construction industry is a major contributor to air pollution, especially in urban areas. Research in 2019 by the London Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (LAEI) showed that about 30% of particulate matter (PM10) emissions in the city came from construction activities such as demolition, clearing, operating diesel engines, burning, and working with toxic materials. Construction sites generate significant dust from concrete, cement, wood, stone, and silica, which can carry long distances.
Air quality monitoring in the construction industry is crucial for worker safety and environmental protection. Persium offers Persium Pods and the Persium Dashboard to proactively monitor air quality on construction sites. The technology allows stakeholders to review dust management plans, assess onsite activities, and check for compliance with non-road mobile machinery (NRMM). Real-time data on air pollution emissions from construction sites enables stakeholders to respond promptly and take measures to mitigate the impact of pollution. The adoption of air quality monitoring technology promotes transparency with staff and residents, as well as improves worker safety.
Enhancing Efficiency and Sustainability
By adopting air quality monitoring solutions like Persium Pods and the Persium Dashboard, relevant stakeholders can quickly identify areas of concern and take action to mitigate pollution levels.
- Air quality data helps carry out site activities that mitigate risk without incurring unnecessary operating costs.
- Keeping the workforce safe boosts work efficiency while also saving costs that would lose on workforce sick days, insurance pay-outs on poor health, and early retirements.
- Improve decision-making and further streamline construction site operations.
- Helps reduce risk and enhance reputation by adhering to data-driven air quality regulations.
- Champion thought leadership and stand out from the competition.
Building Trust and Safety
Monitoring air quality in real-time can help site operators reduce the likelihood of receiving fines for non-compliance with environmental regulations. It can also improve communication between site operators and local communities, helping to build trust and ensure that construction activities are carried out responsibly and sustainably.
- Reduces transmission of airborne viruses and prevents ‘Sick Building Syndrome’
- Persium Pods bring insights into air pollution levels & their source to determine if an area meets air quality standards.
- Utilising the latest technologies to monitor the environment within and around the site so workers and residents nearby can breathe cleaner air.
- Helps with improving community relationships by being accountable and responsible.