Reading Time: <1 minutes
Air pollution from vehicle emissions is a major contributor to poor air quality in cities and towns worldwide, leading to serious health consequences for citizens. In response, many cities are turning to intelligent transportation systems (ITS) to improve traffic flow and reduce air pollution levels. ITSs use advanced computerised applications that link different components of traffic management, such as traffic signal controls and air quality monitoring.
Enhancing Air Quality at Transport Hubs with Persium AQM
Transport hubs such as airports, bus and train stations, and ports are major sources of air pollution due to the high volume of vehicles and passengers they accommodate.
- ITSs rely on air quality data to optimise traffic flow, reduce travel time, and reduce air pollution in urban areas.
- AQM plays a vital role in advocating for the transition to cleaner transportation options and informing best practices for future urban and establishment design.
- AQM data identifies pollution hotspots, enabling city and transport planners to enforce better mitigation policies.
- Hyper-local air quality data provided by Persium Pods empowers citizens to make informed decisions about their travel routes, particularly around busy traffic junctions and motorways.
Dynamic Route Planning with Persium AQM
- Persium Pods data can be integrated with ITSs to change light traffic regulations, divert traffic, and create short-term clean air zones, reducing congestion and improving air quality.
- The data collected by Persium Pods can help transportation departments to generate measurable KPIs.
- Persium Pods help increase understanding of how weather parameters affect the dispersion of pollutants in inner-city areas.
- The MapView® application provides a free alert system to residents, increasing their awareness of air quality levels in their area.